Friday, October 3, 2008

Make Sure You Tip Your Projectionist. He may be unemployed soon.


So I just found out that my theatre is going all digital in about 6 or seven months.  This means that instead of film, everything will be projected digitally through a series of computers and digital projectors.  So everything i usually do, will be done by robots for much less than they pay me.  
That's right.  I am going to be replaced by a robot before the end of April.  Robots-1, Projectionist-0.  So the angry projectionist is soon going to become the unemployed projectionist.  
Now, I'm not all out getting fired here.  The bosses are going to let me sill work for the company as a floor manager.  This will mean that instead of doing a job that i love, i will be bossing around teenagers and dealing with crabby, ungrateful customers.  Well fuck that.  I'm officially looking for a new job.  So if anyone out there reading has just bought a brand new 35mm theatre, hit me up.
I would also like to apologize for not posting anything for a while.  I am really sucking at this whole, "keeping you posted," thing.  I've been working way too much lately, and the very thought of going in to watch movies on my day off doesn't please me too much.  But now that I only have 6 months of free movies left, I assure you, I am going to take every chance i get to see movies.  
So yeah.  If you happen to know a projectionist, give him a hug next time you see him.  He just may be losing his job.           

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I was a Projectionist for seven years, and five of those were as part of the IATSE union. The big theatres locked us out a few times and every new contract would have less pay for fewer hours. So even though I loved my job I had to move on to something else. It's been almost 9 years since I ran a booth but to this day I miss the smell of celluloid and the sounds of the running projectors. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the exact same boat. As soon as April hits...