Wednesday, September 3, 2008

In a world, without Don LaFontaine, one projectionist mourns the loss....


If you happened to go see a movie in my theatre last night you would have noticed that your film started about a minute or two late.  This is because I was paying a moment of silence to the late "King of the Movie Trailers," Don LaFontaine.  
LaFontaine Died this past monday of a collapsed lung.  He was 68 years old.  Movie trailers will never be the same.
he will be remembered forever as one of the most recognizable voices in hollywood.  He leant his voice to countless film trailers, TV, and radio spots.  He was also recently featured on a Geico television commercial.  
Now, for me, this is a really big deal.  I hear this mans voice all day long, while starting film after film.  He is usually the first thing i hear when checking the sound in a theatre.  The trailer rack is really the "water cooler" of the projection booth.  This is where projectionists gather during print builds and talk about their schedules, their home lives, and more importantly, new trailers.    
So, in a way, Don was the one who gave us things to talk about; he was the one who told us what was new and exciting (or sometimes horrible) in "the business."  I truly feel like I've lost a friend.  Even though I've never met the man, he was a large part of my daily life.  I will miss him greatly, and I am sure other projectionists the world over feel the same way.  We will miss you, Don.  Shine on.... you crazy diamond.     

No comments: